Spring in Italy
Thursday, June 15, 2006
  Wandering through Pompeii




I’ve wanted to visit Pompeii since learning about it in fifth grade. We took the circumvesuvia from Sorrento to get there, picked up a bag lunch (prochuttio and mozzarella) and some blood oranges and headed in for the day. It’s one of the most amazing and well preserved places I've ever seen. It was more of a modern city than where I grew up in upstate new york. Urban. Sophisticated. Impressive amounts of planning went into discovering that city and it continues. We were there about five hours and it wasn’t enough. Mosaics, sculptures, signage, bodies, frescoes, alters, columns, bathtubs, amphitheaters, theaters, brothels, bedrooms, gardens, homes, temples, and hints of their lives and creativity. Endless things to observe and sketch.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

I'm a spirited artist and instructor with lots of energy. Currently I'm developing paintings, prints, books and collages that are inspired and developed in my sketchbooks. This fall I'll be offering a sketchbook development course at the Corcoran, and a workshop in Portland, Oregon in hopes to pass along what I've learned through working in mine. To see more about my artwork please go to mphackmann.com

ARCHIVES
June 2006 /


Powered by Blogger