Spring in Italy
Thursday, June 15, 2006
  Umbria - Sketchbook Two


I met the group of artists I was traveling with on April 18 in the airport. It was rainy and cold - a good day to drive into Umbria. We arrived at La Romita and were greeted by our host Edmund and several green glass containers scattered all over the school. It was a painting focused trip, and I was there to teach sketchbook development. (We made books, reviewed sketching ideas and techniques and experimented with a little collage) Our two weeks there were spent soaking in various cities in the center of Umbria and working in the studio (which was the chapel of a converted monastery - really it was)

We traveled to Terni, Narni, Spoleto, San Gemini, Perugia, Valle San Martino, Stronecone (that was week one) - Orvieto, Montefalco, Todi, Assisi, and Carsulae (week 2) We covered some serious ground... and I wore my car-sickness wrist bands on every trip. (by the way - for those of you considering such an adventure - that is a must have on the packing list, along with hand wipes) I wonder if there is as much to discover here if I looked a little harder - probably not a 1400’s fresco from Fra Angelica or Fra Filippo Lippi- but maybe I’d find something else wonderfully inspiring to fill my mind and sketchbook pages with... The local search continues!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

I'm a spirited artist and instructor with lots of energy. Currently I'm developing paintings, prints, books and collages that are inspired and developed in my sketchbooks. This fall I'll be offering a sketchbook development course at the Corcoran, and a workshop in Portland, Oregon in hopes to pass along what I've learned through working in mine. To see more about my artwork please go to mphackmann.com

ARCHIVES
June 2006 /


Powered by Blogger